Thursday 16 January 2014

Completed Challenge 8# - Teach the world to sign!

So the title may have been a slight exaggeration! But I had a lot of fun with this and it was something that was really important to me. I'm hearing impaired myself and although I don't need to sign it is something I've always been fascinated by. My mum and I took classes together and had a fantastic teacher Mark for our level 1. Mark is profoundly deaf and was a very inspirational teacher - I'm really hoping to do my level 2 BSL with him when I have more time.

For this challenge I ran an adult beginners session and one for the students at my previous school. We learnt numbers, letters, how to introduce ourselves, sign our names and addresses. I really hope I managed to inspire an interest in each of the sets of students to take this further in the future.

Although this challenge did not raise a lot of money (I wanted to keep the lessons cheap to encourage as many students as possible) it did help raise awareness of my challenges. It remains one of the things I would like to keep doing and pass on my knowledge to anyone that's interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment