Monday 5 May 2014

Completed challenge 23# - play us a tune!

Off all the challenges this has been one of the hardest. Unlike the others, where although they were often things I didn't particularly want to do, this was something I didn't want to do AGAIN.

I had stopped playing the flute as a child as I hated to play in public or perform really in anyway. So in preparing for this challenge all those feelings came back with the added difficult that I couldn't play. I had naively assumed it would be like riding a bike; but I didn't remember any of the finger placements or even how to play music.

On the Monday before the challenge I was really frustrated and worried that this might be the first challenge I was unsuccessful at. I was whinging away to my sister about not wanting to do it. Then at work one of my special needs children showed me their holiday scrapbook where they had cut out my picture from the paper. It gave me the perspective and push I needed to remember what I was really doing this for.

I practiced every night til I had cramp in my fingers and by the performance felt almost ready. I had highlighted sheets of the finger placements, written all letters underneath all my notes. It turned out I needn't have worried as the other musicians and audience at the pub were so friendly and accommodating that they put me very much at ease.

I don't think I'll be rushing off to become a musician any time soon, but a hige thank you to Geoff and all at The Flying Childer's who supported me. This time I truly have done something I didn't think I would be able to do.

Please see below my many cheat sheets, and a video of the very short performance.





No comments:

Post a Comment