Sunday 11 August 2013

Completed Challenge 3# - Experiencing being deaf-blind.

Originally I didn't know how to achieve this one and get the most out of it. I decided to complete an assault course blind-folded and with ear plugs in. We made it a family affair as my sister took part with me and my mum supported us both. Please note this was done at Lea Green Development Center under their professional guidance. Many thanks to them for allowing us to do this.

This was a really important challenge to me. I was totally humbled by it especially as I was conscious that at any time I could remove my blindfold. It was also a massive challenge for my mum who had to figure out how to maneuver her 2 adult children. I experienced a full range of emotions from feeling exhilarated when I could climb over things myself, to scared when I had to place my trust fully in someone else and in some places frustrated and lonely when I had to wait for my mum to help me and she was busy with my sister. I could see how easy it would be to just give up and go home and this was just an hour of my life.  The loveliest moment was when the sun came out towards the end and the small amount I could sense through the eye mask seemed like diamonds. It was a beautiful moment I wouldn't have noticed if I had full use of all my senses.

The experience really touched all 3 of us so I've asked my mum Anthea and sister Tessa to write about their experience as well.

 Tessa:

This challenge was much more emotionally difficult than I had anticipated! There was frustration at having to wait to be guided by someone when I just wanted to be independent, the crisis in confidence when I couldn't get my footing and general temptation to give up at almost every stage. But there was also the overwhelming sense of security and gratitude of being guided by someone you really trust. I can't even imagine this being my constant reality.

It sounds obvious but my other senses were really heightened. The warmth and texture of the wood and tyres felt amazing and the warmth of the sun on my face (when it finally came out!) was immense. On the flip side I felt every bump, bruise, scrape and graze which was less nice!

Anthea:
 
I guided them to each obstacle in turn and then started them on their way, sometimes by handing them a rope and sometimes by placing their first foot on a pole or whatever. The scariest moment of this challenge was when they both clambered across tyres that were 1.5 metres off the ground.  I was well aware how high they were but the tyres guided them in a straight line.  Getting them down was tricky!  All then went well until I misplaced Tessa's foot and she lost confidence in both me and where she was going. 
50 mins of utter trust and teamwork.  I found it exhilarating but maybe that was because I was mum again.
Remember you can support this or any other challenge by donating at www.justgiving.com/30before30sense
 


No comments:

Post a Comment